Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine's Day

I've never been a huge fan of Valentine's Day. I've always felt that it was such a commercial holiday that makes light of real loving relationships. And once it's so commercialized that it's all about the presents, if you don't get anything special, then you're left feeling unloved.

My husband hated that in high school, so he made big heart cookies for all of the girls he thought were great (even if they had boyfriends), because it didn't have to be about romantic love, but even the love that's in friendship.

Luckily his feelings on Valentine's Day have rubbed off on me, and I'm not such a bitter hater anymore. Or am I just a hypocrite on the other side now? Either way, he printed out a bunch of pictures of our kids with some cheesy cute valentines to hand out to people at work, and I was feeling bad that I hadn't scrapped one for him to give out, so I decided to up my game and really make my kids the cute Valentine's clothes I was planning. Luckily they were done before he surprised me with a mid-day ice cream date, so he got the preview. I had trouble getting a good photo because it was just about time for Oliver to go down for a nap, and Camilla is still pretty unsteady, not to mention Oliver kept pushing her over. Regardless, I loved these pictures and had to scrap them right away. Can you tell that I LOVE Miss Mint's Lovebird kit?!

Love
I attempted making the Love tag look like letterpress, from a tutorial I saw on Pinterest. I think it's still a work in progress, but I was happy enough to post it. That font is really cute, and I found it via the challenges at Peppermint Creative.

I was inspired to make the clothes by Ashley from Make It and Love It. Random fact is that I found out after following her blog for awhile that I actually know her, and her mom was my kindergarten teacher. I still big puffy heart love her blog!Anyway, I kind of mixed and matched tutorials to come up with my own thing. I started out with 2 shirts on clearance and now have some totally cute clothes that can be worn for more than just Valentine's day. I gave Oliver the choice between a monster (like Ashley did) or a robot, and he chose robot. But wearing the robot shirt that he was so excited about, he started whining that he wanted a monster shirt. Typical 2 year old. ;) Camilla is adorable with all of those ruffles, if I do say so myself!

1 comment: